Friday, August 17, 2012

Today's Post! YAY! 

Okay, so I now have a BowFlex Machine.  It's amazing really.  These things run major expensive and we got ours for a steal...or is that a song??!!

Anyways...now I have an awesome tool to work-out with!  Why am I working out??  Let me tell you a quick story.

Post-menopausal, cholesterol numbers BAD, tryglyceride numbers BAD, feel just yucky!!!  Got to lower those numbers and get rid of some weight....30lbs to be exact!  So...there you have it. 

I am lucky to work in a wonderful place that also has a super Registered Nutritionist on staff and between the two of us we have devised a whole foods meal plan to lose the weight, much supplements I now take so that I do not (and I will not) take the Statin Drugs!

So....BowFlex!  Here is a stock pic for you so you know what my monster looks like!


My amazing Monster BowFlex!



I will let you know how my workouts go.  Apparently it's 3X a week for 20 Minutes each workout.  Sounds good to me!!

Okay, that stretch I promise you too....Calf Stretch.  Please people, do this one!!  Especially you runners and walkers...you know who you are!  I will tell you true, if you DO NOT do this stretch...you may at some point suffer from Plantar Fascitis...and it's not fun.  I have (and still do) had this and it hurts like you are stepping on sharp shards of glass.  DO THESE STRETCHES....please!!  I care about you!

Calf Stretch
Guidelines:
  • Before beginning any stretch, warm up with 5-10 minutes of aerobic exercise such as walking or biking to increase blood flow to muscles.
  • Stretch to the point of feeling tension in the muscle, but not to the point of pain.  Hold each stretch for 30 seconds.  If this is too intense, back off a little.
  • Never bounce.  This may trigger a muscle reflex that actually tightens the muscle instead of relaxing it.
  • Stretch daily as often as possible.
  • Strive to do 5-10 repetitions.
  • Always check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program.
Gastroc



  1. Stand with your feet pointed forward.
  2. Keep heels down and your back leg straight.
  3. Slowly bend the knee of your front leg until you feel a stretch in the calf of your back leg.
  4. Switch legs.
Soleus



  1. Stand with your feet pointed forward.
  2. Keep heels down and your back leg’s knee bent.
  3. Slowly bend the knee of your front leg until you feel a stretch in the calf of your back leg.

Happy Stretching!

In Wellness,
Kat

 


No comments:

Post a Comment